Oracle on UNIX using SYMBOLIC LINKS

From: GUY R. LOUCKS <ukloug_at_engsyd.bhp.com.au>
Date: 1995/04/26

ORACLE UNIX QUESTION: We have recently migrated from our VMS based ORACLE 7.0.x database to an OSF/1 (Digital Unix) based ORACLE 7.0.x. After finally configuring and getting the database set up I have a few unanswered questions:

  1. Do raw partitions still offer significant performance improvements? I am currently using an ADVFS.
  2. Is it possible to use aliases in file names etc. Please excuse my VMS background here: I traditionally used "logical symbols" to represent all data paths. For example I would use DB_DEVL_1 , DB_DEVL_2 to represent directory paths to files. This gave me device independance should a disk ever crash and I was required to restore to another spindle. I would like to do the same in UNIX if possible.

I known I could just use soft links, but this is clumsy, crude,... and I like having to only have a single point to manage all file paths.

Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please either post here or email: "ukloug_at_engsyd.bhp.com.au." I will summarise all email responses received.

Thanks in advance,

Guy Loucks
DBA Received on Wed Apr 26 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message