Re: Data Loading Performance Issues

From: John Blackburn <jb2_at_avalon>
Date: 1995/04/26

Amit Srivastava (amit_at_miller.cs.uwm.edu) wrote:
> Hi,
> I have several thousand records that need to be loaded
> into a table. However, the data is all in a flat file. The data
> also needs to be massaged and other info. needs to be looked up before
> I can insert these records into the table.
> My question is:
> Is it faster/better to use sql-loader load all the data into a temp. table
> and manipulate the data say, using pl/sql and insert in finaly;
> Or, use pro*c read in the records from the data file lookup the reqd.
> info and then insert the records?
> Thanks in advance.

I have a similar situation in the Application that I work with. I took the option of using sql*loader to load all the data into a temp. table and then to manipulate it using sql*plus. I don't have any performance problems doing it this way. I cannot comment on the runtime performance of doing this in pro*c, but I would say that in terms of development and maintainance time, pro*c would take longer to develop, be less robust, and would be more painful to maintain should the format of your flat file or the structure of your database change.

(Why reinvent the wheel?)

--

John Blackburn                                          Phone: +61 7 2534634
jb2_at_qdot.qld.gov.au                                     Fax:   +61 7 8541194