Re: Changing the name of a column

From: Michael Nolan <nolan_at_helios.unl.edu>
Date: 1995/04/25

chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com (Chuck Hamilton) writes:

>>> Could somebody tell me how I would change the name of a column .

>3. Add a new column to the existing table with the new name, use
>sqlplus to populate it, and then drop the old column.

Whoa!! The 'DROP' verb drops the entire TABLE, not a column. You can 'add' or 'modify' columns, but there is no way to get rid of them without building a new table. (There is a 'drop' verb within an ALTER TABLE statement, but it only refers to constraints.)

---
Michael Nolan, Sysop for the DBMS RoundTable on GEnie
nolan_at_tssi.com, dbms_at_genie.com, nolan_at_inetnebr.com
(posted from nolan_at_helios.unl.edu)