Re: ***FUNCTION KEY PROBLEMS IN FORMS 3.0***

From: George Dau <gedau{mim/isamail}_at_qld.mim.com.au>
Date: 1995/04/23

You have stirred the muddiest and murkiest of Oracles bywaters. I was involved in writing an Oracle system here, and got to the same problem. Unfortunately I jumped in and worked out what was going on and set up key mappings for our site. Now anytime anybody sees anything the slightest bit odd on their screen or keyboard the contact me. (even fuzzy screens etc). Anyway to your problem (run if you can).

There are several parts to this. The first bit is the Terminal you are using, or more likely the terminal emulator. This will send a string to the unix box. Usually the function keys have something like <esc>[12~ attached to them, but it can vary.

Next bit is termino (termcap) on the unix box. It is a database of sorts that lists sequences and matches them to functions. It uses the unix environment variable "$TERM". In there, the sequence <esc>OP could be matched to the unix function KP1. A unix utility would be told the KP1 (key pad key 1) function was pressed because the correct string was sent to unix from the terminal/emulator. Most emulators let you put any string on any key, so there is no garantee what key the user actually pressed. ALL THIS IS SURPLASAGE. The KP1 and so on is for unix utilities and is not used by Oracle products. I wasted lots of time here.

Next is Oracle*Terminal - its the bit Oracle forms/designer/oterminal itself/menu etc use. You define in one bit the sequences generated by your terminal, and the key on the keyboard that generates it. In another bit you define the functions available in the application, and their names. In the middle you link functions to keynames. Similar process for defining screen attributes.

If you want more, let me know - I've had a lot to do with this, but all on my own, so it is probably better to post and get other people's ideas. If you want examples of what we have, write me gedau{mim/isamail}_at_qld.mim.com.au Be sure to include details of the terminals you have and/or the Emulator package you are using. I have had (nearly all bad) experiences with lots of them.

Other suggestions- go through the Oracle*Terminal book - its friendly and fairly easy to follow. If you want a great laugh, try man terminfo, or man tic on your unix box. If anyone can follow that they need a medal. Ours was wrong, the codes were a subset of what was really there. anyway - best advice is to RUN IF YOU CAN but if you are stuck, re-post or write to me. ged. Received on Sun Apr 23 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message