Re: Cost vs. Rule based optimizer

From: Barry Roomberg <barry_roomberg_at_iacnet.com>
Date: 1995/04/20

In article <1995Apr20.021624.22182_at_cs.uno.edu>, kcutress_at_cs.uno.edu (kevin patrick cutress) says:

>I've just installed Oracle 7 on a CDC 4460 runing EPIX 2.1.1. Oracle's
>promotional literature and the Oracle 7 docs promote the benefits of the cost
>based optimizer. They even say that the rule based optimizer will be removed
>from future releases. I've analyzed all of our tables and a check of the data
>dictionary confirms that all tables and indexes have been analyzed. I've even
>computed statistics instead of estimating. In spite of this, the cost based
>optimizer is doing a very poor job. Has anyone else had this experience?

You didn't state the Oracle version. 7.0.16 didn't work for me, but 7.1.4 does. I still won't trust it for a couple of years, though. The thought that the access paths will change and might degrade suddenly without warning is enough for me the keep rule based for a while. Received on Thu Apr 20 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message