Re: Processes not dying

From: <briantc_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1995/04/19

Bradley Edelman <brad_at_adied.oz.au> writes:

>We have a problem with Oracle processes not dying, specifically when our
>programs crash. Consequently we exceed process number limits because of all
>the processes that haven't been killed off when programs terminate. Is there
>a way to ensure Oracle processes get cleaned up or something to clean up
>dead processes? Of course, if our software was more stable, there wouldn't be
>a problem :-)

This is an old chestnut I've been fighting for years - this is how we got around it:

  1. Are you running client server applications via SQLNET V1? If so accept that this will always happen. Upgrading to SQLNET V2 would help as V2 is better able to cope with this problem.
  2. The exact effects depend on what version of Oracle you're running. We had real nightmares with zombie oracle processes under 7.013 & 7.0.15. The same problem exsists under V6 but doesn't seem to cause half as much trouble. Try upgrading to 7.0.16 or 7.1.3 if you can - this doesn't fix it but does help matters enormously.
  3. Temporarily crank up your process limit to a ridiculous number. A sensibly sized multi-user system can support about 1000 processes easily, if they all happen to belong to Oracle so what? You can always tune it down later.
  4. Occasionally fire off a shell script or batch file that chacks for oracle processes running up silly amounts of CPU time and either alerts you via mail or automatically deletes them.

You don't mention what operating system you're running but it sounds suspiciously like unix.

Have you raised this a a bug with Your Oracle Support - we did.....

BC   Received on Wed Apr 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message