Re: ODBC - invalid column name

From: Bill Schwab <bills_at_anest4.anest.ufl.edu>
Date: 1995/04/19

>I am using a form-filling application to feed data to
>Oracle (the application is called Teleform). When I go
>to transfer the data to Oracle I get an
>RA-00904 invalid column name. I am sure it is my fault
>but I don't know what rule I am breaking - my column
>names all seem to be ok to oracle.

>Are there rules for ODBC that are different such
>as lenght of name? Is mixed case allowed in the
>column name?

AFAIK, ODBC is not case sensitive. You will find that some drivers report field names in all caps, and others don't. This can be a problem is you fill a dictionary with keys in one form, and expect to use the other to lookup an entry (this is the voice of experience). This does not sound like the problem you are having.

Be very careful to avoid using ODBC reserved words as column names. Some drivers are smart enough to figure it out, and others are not.

Good luck,

Bill Received on Wed Apr 19 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message