Re: Q: Oracle and Storage Array

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/04/18

In article <3n0du7$5mb_at_ns.sat1.de>, wawers_at_sat1.de (Theo Wawers) says:

>Hi,
>
>we would like to improve the reliability and the speed of our database
>on a SS1000. The more important point is certainly to gain reliability.
>
>The actual DB is spread over 4 Disks to avoid io waits when server
>processes access the same tablespaces at the same time.
>
>One way to do this is to install a StorageArray with sufficient
>diskspace -- we think. But: we are not sure how oracle handles
>StorageArrays. So before we spend a lot of $, we would like to know:
>
>1) Any problems with O7 and StorageArrays
>
>2) do we really gain improvement in the io aera if we replace 4 disks
>on 3 scsi contolers by one storage array.
>
>3) Does RAID Level 5 slow down the DB ?
>
>4) Its important to keep the tablespaces of the DB on independent
>disks (physically). Do we then still the the chance to run RAID level 5 ?
>
>I would like to talk to people who do run O7 on diskarrays. Is there
>anybody who is ready to have a nice little conversation on storage arrays ?
>
>Theo
>
>--

>Theo Wawers Tel: +49 6131 900 873
>SAT1 Fax: +49 6131 900 803
>Otto Schott-Str. 13 url: http://www.sat1.de/~wawers
>55127 Mainz.Germany email: wawers_at_sat1.de
>Schlank ist schnell, aber dick und fett setzt sich durch....

  I too am interested in what others have to say about the storage array. We HAVE just received ours (still in boxes), and are curious as to suggested setups for the array. 10 x 1 GIG drive. We are contemplating 2 chains (perhaps the user side only mirrored and RAID 5 on other). 1 HOT drive available for each. Thoughts??

                                  	Brian
--
Brian Graham                    .
Programmer / DBA        ._______|_______. Tel: 613-560-5470