Re: Dumb question

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1995/04/18

In <kmajkutD6zwMC.3Bx_at_netcom.com> kmajkut_at_netcom.com (Keith Majkut) writes:

>In article <3mibgr$58k_at_battle.ship.edu>, Craig <cz3040_at_cutter.ship.edu> wrote:
>>Is it true that there is some try before you buy version of Oracle? I
>>have used several different databases in the past (Paradox, Access,
>>dBASE, and FoxPro) and think it might be time to make the switch. Plus,
>>now I am getting into the UNIX environment.
>Yes there are. Try www.oracle.com to download or pick up a random computer
> magazine and look for the article about Workgroup 2000. You can order a
> trial CD (for a shipping fee)of a few different Oracle databases and some
>tools.
>>
>>Any suggestions?
>>
>>Craig

I think the version being offerred free on via CD or FTP is a Windows version. If that's the one you want you should also be advised that contrary to a certain magazine review (I forget which one it was), it will *NOT* install on a PC with only 8MB RAM. The installation guide that accompanies the CD specifically says 16MB. I ordered the CD myself and now need to shell out a few hundred bucks for RAM if I ever want to install it.

    Chuck Received on Tue Apr 18 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message