Performance: RAID vs. Normal Netware Vols?

From: Brian Jenkins <bonkydog_at_sirius.com>
Date: 1995/04/17

My group is planning to purchase a new (Netware 4.1) box to act as an Oracle 7 server. We want to use a RAID system for its reliability, but I have heard one can gain substantial performance gain from placing the index and data portions of the Oracle database on separate physical drives. (It eliminates the need to seek between the two areas.)

Does anyone have any experience or information about the relative performance of Oracle 7 servers (running on Intel under Netware) using RAID drives vs regular old one-drive-per-volume SCSI setups.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Jenkins Received on Mon Apr 17 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message