Re: DATABASE Tuning Problem - Any help appreciated

From: Willy Klotz <willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org>
Date: 1995/04/16

sp_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au writes in article <1995Apr13.021818.2816_at_scammell.ecos.tne.oz.au>:

> Hi, I have a tuning problem and I am not sure if any of you had a similar
> problem.
>
> I have an insert statement which runs in 5 minutes most of the time, but
> occasionally takes about a couple of hours. Could any one explain this.
> This process is run stand alone on a HP machine with ORACLE V7.

Assuming the problem is really the INSERT statement, I would look for possible extents which area created by the new rows.

If you do your insert after massive delete-operations, it is possible that the newly inserted rows are placed into already used data blocks, but then only a few of them (check out PCTFREE and PCTUSED).

Willy Klotz

Willys Mail     FidoNet              2:2474/117  2:2474/118
      willyk_at_kbigate.stgt.sub.org      VFC        ISDN/X.75
   -> No Request from 06.00 to 08.00 <-