Re: dropping a primary key

From: Jerrold Baca <jbaca_at_dps.state.nm.us>
Date: 1995/04/14

In article <3m3jmc$q98_at_NNTP.MsState.Edu>, nr1_at_Ra.MsState.Edu (Nagaraj Rekha) says:

>Hi netters!!
>
>I have been trying to drop aprimary key and a foriegn key from a table with
>out success. I have been using the Disable command.
>I would appreciate it if any one could tell me where I am going wrong and
>thr right procedure to do it.
>

>Rekha Nagaraj
>E-mail: rekha_at_erc.msstate.edu

The way we have dropped primary keys and constraints in the past is with the alter table command using the drop clause.

For example:

alter table addresses drop primary key;

will drop the primary key from the addresses table. It will also remove the not null constraint from the column which is the primary key.

For more info, refer to the ORACLE7 Server SQL Language reference

   ALTER TABLE command and
   DROP CLAUSE sections Received on Fri Apr 14 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message