Oracle Object for OLE vs. ODBC via Visual Basic

From: Steve Recsky <SteveRecsky_at_aec.ca>
Date: 1995/04/13

Our trials and tribulations continue here at AEC with Visual Basic accessing Oracle.

Initially we started with ODBC but soon found a major bug with VARCHAR2 data being truncated. Talks with both Oracle and Microsoft have finger pointing going on but no resolution. With that, we had been looking towards Oracle Glue for a cleaner interface. We had a trial run of Oracle Glue in and it looked very promising. That is until Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O) came along and showed potential as being Oracle's future direction for VB Oracle access.  So, moving forward on the hype that OO4O was the next thing, our VB Developers switched from ODBC to OO4O to see if it was true. The coding is easier, but the performance is so slow!!! Our on-line application shows time differences that are 18 times slower than ODBC. Tracing on the 2 different interfaces show more work being done in OO4O than ODBC! What gives!! We even tried setting the Dynasets to be read-only... no luck. Please help, or direct us to someone who can!!!

P.S. We also tried the performance and tuning hints in the documentation.

Regards,
Steve

  • Steve Recsky, Staff DBA * Voice (403) 266-8283 (OFFICE) *
  • ALBERTA ENERGY COMPANY LTD. * Fax (403) 290-8283 (OFFICE) *
  • 3900, 421 - 7th Avenue S.W. * *
  • Calgary, AB, Canada T2P 4K9 * SteveRecsky_at_aec.ca *