Re: DBA Tools on PO7

From: Thomas B. Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/04/13

Michael G. Barbitta <michaelx_at_leland.stanford.edu> wrote:
>I've just installed Personal Oracle 7.1.4 on my PC, and find that many of the
>tools which are part of the Unix based Database Manager are not available on
>the PC based version. Although I can still use line mode to perform all the
>functions, the different programs which comprise the DBA toolset lack things
>like being able to create redo logs, start the database in anything but open
>mode, and many others. Am I right in the assumption that my DBA toolset is
>very limited, or are there other tools that I'm not aware of

Your DBA toolset is very limited.*

Actually, the aplets (small single-purpose apps) are quite nice for many DBA functions. What you're missing is the full-screen mode in SQL*DBA.

*if you use SQL, all of these commands you want to perform can still be performed. The market for PO7 is people who generally won't want to mess with the ugly detailed side of DBA tasks, so much of that work is either simplified or kept under covers. Nevertheless, PO7 is 100% full function Oracle7 v7.1.4.

Feel free to buy my book... ;-)

 -Tom

--
Thomas Cox      tcox_at_netcom.com        503-293-8464