Alternate for ESQL

From: Ed Zaleski <oddsock_at_MCS.COM>
Date: 1995/04/12

I am looking at what it would take to create an application level API for Oracle so that all the C programs that we plan to write, which will need to send SQL stmts (also DECLAREs, etc..) to our Oracle DB. A logical step is to use Embedded SQL to perform this in the C programs and use PRO*C to create SQLLIB calls out of them..What the application level API will attempt to do is pull out all the ESQL that would normally be in the programs and provide common API functions to perform what the ESQL would normally do. i.e.

        cursor_name = declare_cursor();

Where declare_cursor() will DYNAMICALLY allocate a cursor (with a internally generated name)

Basically what I want to be able to do is to dynamically create SQL type statements, but not restricted to SQL only statements (i.e. we also want to do DECLARE CURORS, FETCH, etc dynamically...) Does it make sense to :

  1. Try to use Dynamic SQL to perform these types of calls (my inital guess is the limitations to Dynamic SQL will prevent us from doing it)
  2. Use SQLLIB calls to perform this (this looks scary)
  3. Use another means (This is where I need help...)

Any help anyone can provide would be appreciated...

Ed Zaleski Received on Wed Apr 12 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message