How to shrink a database

From: Dave G Herdman <dherdman_at_osil.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/04/12

We are tseting an Oracle 7 application from another company with a view to buying it. The application was delivered as a dump of all the database files. We have now cleared out most of the rows we dont need and we want to shrink the database down from about 4Gig to say 300 meg. We cannot use the creation scripts as they are incomplete and have not been updated for several years.

Plan 1 was to build a database with everything scaled down to about 25% or the original. Export everything from the old database and then import it into the new database.

This failed as some of the tables and indexes have storage parameters with large initial allocations (300Meg)

Plan 2 is to create the new database again. Extract the object defs from the import file (index option). Alter all the storage allocations. Create all the objects . Then import the rows. This will take some time (1500 objects). Also it will need some more thought as the object owners will need to be defined before we create the relavent objects

Is there a quicker cleaner way?. If not some good advice on plan 2 would be most welcome.

thanks in advance

Dave Herdman

| Dave G Herdman OSIL inet email dherdman_at_osil.demon.co.uk | | phone UK (44) 494 765716 fax UK (44) 494 764062 |