Re: Oracle 7 cannot have concurrent updates & queries ???

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/04/12

>Lionel Lee (lionell_at_sp.ac.sg) wrote:
>: The Oracle 7 application developers at our site have been writing apps
>: which perform massive updates and we encountered database deadlocks
>: frequently when concurrent updates (& queries) are attempted on the
>: same table. So we even resort to queueing these Oracle apps via the
>: flaky cron/at subsystem which reduces our multiprocessor SPARCcenter
>: Unix mutiuser environment into an inefficient batch processing "single
>: user" a-job-at-a-time environment.

>: So is it true that Oracle RDBMS does not support concurrent updates or
>: rather what is wrong here??? Please kindly advise...

  It is my understanding the excessive fragmentation and limited free space in an Oracle block cause locking ALL data in that block. This problem can be resolved by exporting the data and re-importing it (of course drop all the data to avoid duplicate data).
  For the life of me I couldn't find the reference in the DBA manual. Perhaps this info was from an Oracle course or at IOUG.

					Hope this helps.
                                  	Brian
--
Brian Graham                    .