Re: Pro*C executable

From: Nilo Segura <nilo_at_cern.ch>
Date: 1995/04/10

According to the Release notes for HP 9000 - 7.1.4 ...

 "This release of Oracle Server contains the shared library liboracle.sl located in $ORACLE_HOME/lib directory. You can use this library when linling Pro*C and XA client programs, instead of the libxa.a, libsql.a, libora.a, libcvg.a and libnlsrtl.a archive libraries."

We have not tried it though. Our servers are SunSPARCS but we have lots of Pro*C code running on HPs . I have not found the same for Sun/Solaris.

 It seems that the guys doing the port to HP are better than the others...;-)

    Regards...

In article <D6n8LF.K3F_at_presby.edu>, mmgall_at_admin.presby.edu (Morris Galloway) writes:
>I have been told that shared libraries/dynamic linking is the solution,
>and that Oracle will be supporting them in 7.2. Again, I have no
>"Official" word. Lots of us are buying disk right now.
>
>If there is an Oracle document stating release dates for dynamic/shared
>libraries by platform, I'd like to see a copy posted here.
>
>Morris Galloway Jr. Internet: mmgall_at_presby.edu
>Dean, Administrative Services Phone: 1-803-833-8217
>Presbyterian College 503 S. Broad St. Clinton, SC 29325 USA
>
>In article <D6MAv6.zx_at_cdsmail.cdc.com>,
>Peter H Maggio <phm1_at_cdsmail.cdc.com> wrote:
>>Phil Melendez (pme_at_crash.cts.com) wrote:
>>: No its not just you. Oracle 7.1.4 sizes are bigger so I assume this goes
>>: for 7.1.6. I have a simple Pro*C program that only connects to the
>>: database and then exits, thats all. In Oracle 6.0.36 the executable size
>>: was approximatly 134k, in Oracle 7.1.4 it was 1.08 meg. An increase of
>>: approx. 990k. I traced this to libsqlnet, which added from 30-40k to
>>: 450k approx. and to libnlsrtl which added 500k to executable size. My

>>: Phil M.
>>
>>Phil,
>>
>>In my dealings with Oracle they have informed me that in Oracle
>>7.2 they are reducing the Pro CORE size (i.e. writing all the
>>common libraries to one place and not including them in each ex-
>>ecutable). I am not sure how reliable this info is since they

Nilo Segura Chinchilla                    *   e-mail nilo.segura_at_cern.ch
Computing and Network Division            *          nilo_at_sundb02.cern.ch
European Laboratory for Particle Physics  *   phone +41 +22 7674943
Geneva - Switzerland                      *

  "I am the one who steps from the shadows" - John Constantine