Re: Forms 4.5 CHAR and VARCHAR2 Data_Types and Informix

From: Volker Hauswurz <VH_at_Materna.DE>
Date: 1995/04/07

In article <75_at_along.dialix.oz.au> paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au (Alex Long) writes:
>From: paladin_at_along.dialix.oz.au (Alex Long)
>Date: Wed, 05 Apr 1995 09:47:14 GMT
>Subject: Forms 4.5 CHAR and VARCHAR2 Data_Types and Informix

>Greetings All,

>I have a question pertaining to Forms 4.5 (CDE 2) CHAR and VARCHAR2
>datatypes.

>My Problem.

Hope we have a solution.

>When developing a form in Forms 4.01??? I tried to set a relationship
>between two CHAR datatype columns, and after a couple of weeks, I
>stopped beating my head against the brick wall. It just doesn't work.

>The database needs to be accessed by Forms (In some versions or other)
>and Informix.

>The CHAR datatypes cannot be converted to VARCHAR2, because the current
>version of Informix can't handle that datatype.

>Forms 4.0??? can't handle CHAR datatypes in any relationship, or any
>statement where the contents is compared to anything else.

Our problem, too. It should be in the FAQ. It comes up now and then.

>Now the Question.

>Does Forms 4.5 handle CHAR datatypes any better? Say a Master/Detail
>relationship where both columns contain identical data, and both are
>CHAR datatypes?

I don't know. We will try it out.
But I think there is a solution (for FORMS 4.%). E.g.:
You have a CHAR(3) item.
You insert 'ABC' and search for it (no SPACE problem). ORACLE finds it.

I think there is a hint to the problem because no CHAR datatype is allowed in calling a stored procedure on the server (PL/SQL V 1 ....). Just a guess.

Now if you would search for 'A<s><s>%' ORACLE would find 'A' and no other records (which would be the problem if you append the '%' after the 'A'). Of course one shouldn't push a user to append some blanks and a '%'. So change the PRE_QUERY trigger filling up all the CHAR-items with SPACE and then a '%'. It should work. We didn't try it because we didn't want to change all the PRE_QUERY triggers and there was this simple dirty solution VARCHAR2.