Re: help on Oracle Report 2.0

From: Martin Erdely <merdely_at_astound.dialix.oz.au>
Date: 1995/04/06

In article <3l5vqk$2jl_at_irz203.inf.tu-dresden.de>, Judith Rimpler (jr4_at_irz.inf.tu-dresden.de) writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to build reports using Oracle Report 2.0 on MS-DOS.
>I have the following problem:
>
> SELECT a.t1,b.t1,
> a.t2,b.t2,
> a.t3,b.t3,
> a.t4,b.t4,
> FROM a,b
> WHERE a.id=b.id
> (selects one record of each table)
>
>If the value of a column of table a is null then the value of the corresponding
>b is null as well. (example: a2 is null then b2 is null)
>I don`t want empty lines in my report. If a2 is null the report should look
>like a1 b1
> a3 b3
> a4 b4
>(I`m dealing with very large records, I don't get the whole record on one page,
>so I have to split it.)
>

>I know that it was'n possible at alL in SQL*Report 1.* and I couldn't find out
>if this should be possible in the new Version.
>
>Can anybody help me to get ORACLE to do this?
>
>Thanks
>
>Judith

Assuming that your fields are laid out in the same repeating group as follows:

+-----------+
+ A1     B1 +
+ A2     B2 +
+ A3     B3 +
+ A4     B4 +

Create a validation trigger for each
layout field as follows: Field A1:
IF :A1 is null THEN
  RETURN(FALSE);
END IF;
This will ensure that the field does not appear on the screen and so if both A1 and B1 are null then the line will not appear.Ensure that the fields have a variable height.(To allow for not displaying)

Martin Erdely Internet: merdely_at_astound.dialix.oz.au "Always look on the bright side" Received on Thu Apr 06 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message