Archiving : Need help

From: Rajaram M Bhakta <raja_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1995/04/05

All,

We have been trying to build archiving /retrieval utilities for the past some months & have been hitting a brick wall due to one reason or another.

I would like to know if any site/s have acheived any kind of success in building an archiving tool.

The most recent strategy we had conceived off was to use the Oracle utility "exp" to do a full export of the application and keep it on tape. This would be followed by a purge which would get rid of data that was to be archived.

On user request for retrieval, we would "imp" the data back into the same/ diff database.

However the big hole in this was the incompability between "imp" of diff versions of Oracle. Since these are archives, we intend to hold onto them for 5/7 years.

Any leads on this subject will be much appreciated. We use Oracle 7.0.16 & are migrating towards 7.1.4

The email address to use is raja_at_netcom.com. I will post a summary in case i get a lot of replies.

Thanks
-Raja Received on Wed Apr 05 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message