Re: Archiving : Need help

From: David Scott <dscott_at_is.net>
Date: 1995/04/04

In article <rajaD6JD2o.1u8_at_netcom.com>, raja_at_netcom.com (Rajaram M Bhakta) wrote:

> However the big hole in this was the incompability between "imp" of diff
> versions of Oracle. Since these are archives, we intend to hold onto them for
> 5/7 years.

If longevity is a paramount concern, I would suggest archiving your data in straight ASCII text files, with pre-written control and table create files stored with them. You might want to use compression (I doubt the .z file format would change in 5-7 years; YMMV) to group the data with its control and table creation files. Though this will use slightly more room than export files (I don't _think_ they do significant compression), you will be able to reload the data without version-induced difficulties. Also, if the data is kept on-line or near-line, you might even be able to use some basic script files to provide occaisional scans for relevant groups of data (ie use grep to withdraw some relevant lines; crude, slow, but easy).

I hope this helps!

David Scott
DBA
The Prudential Bank