Re: Sequence Numbers

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/04/03

In article <3lpa1l$n17_at_watnews1.watson.ibm.com>

           stan_at_lfs.loral.com "Stan Driggs" writes:

:
: As long as we are discussing sequence numbers, does anyone have an answer to
: this question:
:
: Sequence numbers are obviously most useful for creating unique numbers that
: can be used as keys. The problem is, you run out of numbers at some point
: (before infinity), so the sequence must cycle.

Well, the default maximum value for sequences numbers is 10 ^ 27: Allocating them at 1000 per second (to be generous) leaves you with a run-time of 10 ^ 24 seconds before you cycle, which at roughly 10 ^ 5 seconds per day, and very roughly 10 ^ 3 days per year gives you some 10 ^ 16 years before the sequence cycles.

Since this is somewhat greater than the current age of the planet I'm prepared to take the risk that Oracle 8 will be out and bug-fixed in time to solve the problem.

--
Jonathan Lewis