Re: PO7 16Mb Shell Game

From: Jim Shang <jims_at_mincom.oz.au>
Date: 1995/04/03

 James Ewert <jamesewert_at_delphi.com> writes:

> It appears Oracle is selling a FREE $15 beta to us saps:
>
> The Web page says it needs 8Mb
> One release note file on the CD says it can run in 8Mb if you use custom
> install and don't load PL/SQL

The install of POracle7 to run a 8Mb machine is'nt very clear but that is correct that you must run the custom install and don't load PL/SQL

> Then another release note file on the CD says, well sorry, the CD and
> net releases have the PL/SQL bundled and so all installs require 16Mb

I don't know about the CD but the version I ftp'ed from Oracle's WWW site can be installed without PL/SQL.

> A guy posts that it needs 16Mb to do anything useful (like run) and that
> it requires a big swap file

Nope mine runs on a 486DX50 with 8Mb pretty good, but I did have to create a large windows swap file to get utilities like export and import run else I had memory problems.

Also using SQLDBA to start the database will see you run out of memory (if you have only 8 Mb) so use the Server Manager utility or in SQLDBA do a "startup nomount" then alter database mount.

It would seem running SQLDBA and trying to open the database robs too much memory but by doing the startup nomount then altering the database to mount it as seperate steps makes better use of your memory.

> And Oracle also says it strongly recommends a 486 to run it.
>
> Has anyone (including Oracle) got PO7 running on a 386? I'm getting
> out of memory errors when I attempt to initialize or start the database.

I have'nt on a 386 but see above about starting the database.

Regards

Jim

James Shang                               jims_at_mincom.oz.au
                                          Phone:   +61 7 303 3358
MIMS Technical                            Fax:     +61 7 303 3257
MINCOM Pty. Ltd.
Wyandra St, Teneriffe, Queensland, Australia 4120