Re: VB - ODBC - O7 wrong approach?

From: Johannes Reitermayer <h8751814_at_obelix.wu-wien.ac.at>
Date: 1995/04/03

JMcI_at_ix.netcom.com (John McIntosh) wrote:

>The message I'm getting from Oracle and a local Oracle integrator
>is "Why use ODBC to connect VB to Oracle when Glue or Objects for OLE
>offer far better useability and performance?"

>Do any of you concur that it is pointless to use ODBC with Visual Basic, if
>you have Glue available?

we did one year of development on a decision support system with visual basic. first we started using odbc as middleware. the problem we focused was that using sql-passthrough was fast enough with select-statements but sql-passthrough dynasets (cursors) are read only. so you have to use normal odbc which is very slow. after (because of) that we switched to oracle glue. but for half a year i could not find anyone on compuserve's oracle forum who uses glue (or could answer my questions). now (a year later) i'm really feed up with oracle's middle-ware. in the moment we are testing gupta's sqlwindows which has the advantage that you are not tied to oracle. you CAN (but you need not) connect to oracle. it's possible to connect to e.g. db2 or gupta's sqlbase as well (but i would prefer oracle 7). by the way: have you ever tried using ole with microsoft products (winword, excel) ? my opinion is that ole is very buggy under ms-windows.

the only question left is: how many lines of codes do you have which is written in visual basic and how much would it cost to rewrite it in another language ?

by the way: oracle offeres glue, odbc, oo4ole -> whats next ? Received on Mon Apr 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message