Re: [Q] Oracle on NT

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1995/04/03

 writes:
>>>From: toddm73670_at_aol.com (ToddM73670)
>>>Subject: Re: [Q] Oracle on NT
>>>Date: 29 Mar 1995 23:12:41 -0500

>>>We have used ORACLE v7.0.x on NT running on an Intel Pentium and it
>>>definitely runs better than ORACLE v7.0.x on Novell on a similar Pentium
>>>Box. Our tests showed about 50% in performance over a suite of queries,
>>>sorts, etc. However, our research also revealed that although NT is
>>>available for DEC Alpha, ORACLE has not ported ANYTHING to NT for Alpha.
>>>Furthermore, their Tech Support assures me no one at ORACLE has any plans
>>>to provide this port any time in the next year. What is going on here? Any
>>>Ideas?

 <snip>
>When I talked to Oracle a few weeks back, they said that binaries for the Alpha
>would be out perhaps third quarter, probably fourth quarter of the year. If he
>was lying, I'll be glad we've decided to go ahead and implement on a pentium.
>If Oracle is not planning on Aplha binaries, it seems like this would be a
>major mistake; anyone running serious DB serversought to be doing so and
>Alphas: our 2100/400 running SQL server runs like lightning though. (Yeah,
>Yeah, I know that microsoft runs dual pentiums/quad pentiums from Compaq,
>so....)
>Shawn M. Smith
I am surprised that the original poster found Oracle on NT 50% faster than Oracle on Netware. I assume that the same load and memory etc were used on both. I assume that Netware was not also acting as a server for the rest of the office? I had done some test of Oracle 7.0 on Netware (486 32 megs of ram and older drives) vs MS Sql server on NT 3.5 pentium 90 32 megs newer drives and found that it was nip and tuck in terms of performance. Netither machine was acting as a file server. When I moved Oracle to another netware server (pentium 66 32 megs and newer disk drives ) I found about a 20%+ difference over MS Sqlserver on the Pentium 90 under NT 3.5.

Of course, if the 50% is acurate then Oracle must blows the pants off MS Sql Server.

I even had talked to someone at Oracle and they stated that you would probalby see a 15 to 20% decrease in performance running under NT vs Netware. In a discussion with another database vendor (Watcom) , they stated a similar finding for their database (Netware vs NT all other things being equal). Also I have seen several reports demonstrating Netware's file access (as long as you have more than 5 users) to be signifigantly faster than NT's. (3..5)

Of course, native Alpha binaries would probalby be faster than Netware. You are talking a very powerful processor there.

I am surprised at the 50% figure.

Jim Kennedy Received on Mon Apr 03 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message