Re: ODBC Drivers Variable Login HELP!

From: Tyler J. Wilson <twilson_at_vines.colostate.edu>
Date: 1995/03/31

In article <D69Bu9.57z_at_carmen.logica.co.uk>, <stradlingp_at_logica.com> says:

>Has anyone succeeded in using Oracle ODBC with a variable login procedure?
>
>I am using the ODBC drivers from the Personal Oracle 7.1 suite.
>
>I would like to code a program such that I can prompt the user for a login,
>password and connect string. This does not seem possible with Oracle's
>ODBC driver, as it always reads this information from ODBC.INI.
>
>I used to use ODBC supplied by Map Info which -did- allow a variable login
>but was 200%+ slower than the Oracle version.
>
>TIA
>
>Paul Stradling
>Logica UK
>stradlingp_at_logica.com

If you are up to it you could put all possible oracle connections in the "ODBC.INI" file. Otherwise you could create the needed entry in the "ODBC.INI" file on the fly. Then you would create the ODBC connect string "ODBC,DSN=server,UID=user,PWD=password" that you would use to connect to oracle. Where server is the new definition you created in "ODBC.INI".

Hope this helps

(      ,'\   ,-^\       Ski Forever...        ...Work Whenever                    )
 )   ,' ) ','  ( `.     Tyler Wilson          email:  twilson_at_vines.colostate.edu(
(  ,'  ( ,'____ )  \    Research Services     phone:  (303)491-2137               )
 )/   __)-' || `-.__`.  Colorado State University                                (