SQL/Link is dropping a connection. Why?

From: (wrong string) íguez <jrodrig_at_campus.cem.itesm.mx>
Date: 1995/03/31

A friend of mine called me recently with a misterious problem. He sold a slution using SQL/Net and SQL/Link on a dedicated DOS machine as a gateway to a Paradox database residing on a Netware server. The gateway polls an Oracle table on a Unix machine
-an AT&T Conversant (an Integrated Voice Response system)- which makes
queries to the Paradox side thorugh a field on the table. The gateway takes the field on that table and uses it as a key for a Paradox search. Then it puts the results on another Oracle table.
This scheme works smoothly, but there is one problem: From time to time, and after a random idle time (that is, the Unix box has had no Paradox requests for a while) the link -at SQL/Link level- between the PC-client and the Unix server is broken. When the PC-client tries to read from the table it's polling, the result code is a read error.
The workaround was to validate this condition and sign back on, but just the idea of this kind of trouble has turn the clients on really
-believe me, *really*- paranoid subjects. Now this guy is in risk
of losing his job, and has turned to me for help, but I'm as puzzled as him.
Now the question to the collective soul is: has anyone have that kind of touble? Is it a bug? Is there some patch for it? I'd appreciate any kind of help regarding this problem, and I'd appreciate E-mail response, since my NNTP link is somewhat unestable.

Thanks in advance.