Re: Forms 4.0 Question : Is is possible to make a non-navigable text item not appear GRAYED?

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 1995/03/31

In article <SMUENCH.95Mar30235802_at_doh.oracle.com>, Steven P. Muench <smuench_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>If you want an item which the mouse-wielding end user cannot
>absolutely interact with in any way, you should probably change your
>item type from "Text Item" to "Display Item" instead. The Display Item
>is a view-only, lightweight type of item which can take on any visual
>attribute that a normal item can. You can make the display item
>bevelled in or out or not at all. The point is, you don't have to
>disable the display item to stop the mouse from clicking there.

This is the way we solved this issue in my shop. However, there is a minor bug which makes life a little more difficult than perhaps it ought to be. The functionality you expect when you move a text-item to a display-item (and do nothing else) is that the display-item will share most attributes with the text-item from which it is converted. But on both our Motif and MS-Windows workstations, and whether we are using 4.0.13 or 4.5, the text in the display-item is top justified which makes it extremely difficult to align text across a horizontal band. (In a normal text-item the text is vertically centered in the item.) The only work-around that I have found is adjusting the vertical size of the display-item until it "fits" the text.

--
Jack F. Love