Re: single table restore w/out exports

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1995/03/30

In article <3kup2f$21k_at_lucy.infi.net> gtravis_at_richmond.infi.net (Glenn Travis) writes:
>We are running cold backups as our backup. Shut down database, backup
>system files, restart db. Our users want to be able to restore single
>tables as they did before when we we using exports. Is there a way to
>use the datafiles and a temp db to trick oracle into loading the table,
>so we could export it from a copy of the datafile?
>--
>Glenn Travis
>DBA
>Circuit City Stores, Inc.
>Richmond, VA USA
>gtravis_at_richmond.infi.net
>gtravis_at_aol.com

You could do an export before the backup...

Or put together a procedure to select every column from every table into a ascii file(for each table), then you can restore single rows. This can make you a real hero, if you document your integrity constraints good enough to do this on demand.

--
Joel Garry           joelga_at_amber.rossinc.com            Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.