Re: Table structure for "tagging" field values

From: Roger Snowden <snowden_at_iia.org>
Date: 1995/03/30

Timothy S. Shaw (tss_at_icf.hrb.com) wrote:
: I have to set up a database where there is the requirement to "tag"
: field instances with at least a data entry source and timestamp (and
: probably some other data). I terms of a typical relational table structure,
: I have to tag data at the field level, not the record level.

Create a common table for all field-level audits, something like 'audit_tbl'. The primary key is Table_name and Column_name, plus the attributes UserName and TimeStamp. Trigger it off of inser, delete and update.

Lots of overhead, but this is relational, normalized, and maintaned on the server so the net traffic is minimal. If you gotta do it, you gott do it.

Roger Received on Thu Mar 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message