Re: Oracle 7 on Sun 1000 vs Compaq Proliant

From: ToddM73670 <toddm73670_at_aol.com>
Date: 1995/03/30

In Message-ID: <3kl3rt$a0o_at_blackice.winternet.com> John Chandler writes

>Does anyone have any experience that would indicate Oracle7
>performance and scalability, specifically on the Sun 1000 (under
>Solaris) or Compaq Proliant (under NetWare)?

We are using Oracle 7.0.x under Netware on a Compaq Proliant 4000 w/ one pentium processor board and 192 MB RAM. The hardware performs very well, especially the proprietary dual channel High Speed SCSI card. We typically have over 60 concurrent connections on average per day. Most of these are Indexed lookups for specific information, so load is not as fantastic as you might think. However, Netware (we have used v3.x-4.x for ORACLE) does not have very good protection when things go wrong. Our server was up and down a lot before the latest release of 7.0.x, but still Novell is a Ring-Zero O/S. We plan to abandon Novell ASAP and move our stuff to a combination of HP-UX and MS-NT.

Todd Meckenstock
First USA Merchant Services
Dallas, TX

My opinions are my own, and not necessarily those of my employer. Received on Thu Mar 30 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message