How to debug packages?

From: Jeff Halperin <jhalperin_at_charlesview.com>
Date: 1995/03/29

How can I debug code I put in a package on Oracle Server 7.1.4?

The Applications Developer's Guide suggests that I can install the DBMS_OUTPUT package, and use procedures like PUT and PUT_LINE to trace the progress of my code. The catch is that PUT_LINE seems to disagree with my PRAGMA RESTRICT REFERENCES (procname, WNDS). [I get PLS-00452: Subprogram violates its associated pragma. Perhaps PUT_LINE writes to the data dictionary?]

If I can't use PRAGMA RESTRICT REFERENCES, then I can't use SELECT statements in PL/SQL to test the functions in my package.

Am I doing entirely the wrong thing by trying to test in SQL*Plus? I have Oracle Forms 4.0. I thought it would be cleaner and simpler to test my package first in SQL*PLus, but now I'm not so sure. Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message