Re: Corrupted data blocks

From: Brian Graham <GrahamB_at_psac.com>
Date: 1995/03/29

In article <3l9rna$2qq_at_supreme.pcug.org.au>, glau_at_pcug.org.au (Geoff Lau) says:

>A fortnight ago, I had both non-production database instances rendered
>inoperable due to corrupted data blocks. I am still unsure of the
>cause, and would like to know if others have had the same problem, and
>in what circumstances.

 I would expect that in the case of an attempt to
>write to a dbs file failing, the associated tablespace should be taken
>offline. What do you think?

  Fortunately, we have only had one occurance of corruption within our database, and that was 3 years ago. The long and the short of our recovery was to drop and recreate the tablespace and RE-IMPORT from our last good export. (It was a production database and fortunately users noticed the bad data quickly!)
  I don't recall the corruption as being from a catastrophic failiure of a disk drive. Just a regular bad spot on a disk.

					Hope this helps.
					Brian
--
Brian Graham                    .