Re: Shutdown with username system-VAX-VMS

From: Bruce MacDonald <Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca>
Date: 1995/03/29

In article <jkennedy-2803951226250001_at_jkennedy-lap.us.oracle.com>, jkennedy_at_oracle.com (Jef Kennedy) says:

>In article <3l6p1b$4ru_at_sess02.rdp.asi.alcatel.es>,
>toledo_at_sess01.rdp.asi.alcatel.es (Francisco Rodriguez) wrote:
>
>> When using the command procedure to shutdown the database with username
>> SYSTEM on a system VAX - VMS, the shutdown abort with error :
>>
>> !!! system UIC group members are not allowed to use ORACLE DBA COMMANDS.
>>
>> why??
>
>To avoid security problems. Make sure your DBA account has a group UIC
>greater than SYSGEN's MAXSYSGROUP. In addition, make sure your database
>is owned by an account with a group UIC greater than MAXSYSGROUP. This
>should eliminate your problem.
>
>Note that this is also true for Alpha VMS. It is covered in the
>Oracle-for-[Open]VMS installation guide.
>
>Cheers.
>
>--
>Jef

It would be nice if they made an exception for database shutdown...

I worked around the problem by submitting the shutdown command as a batch procedure with /USER=ORACLE, and then synchronizing with the batch job so that the shutdown waits until the DB is down.

Bruce MacDonald                                Bruce_MacDonald_at_mindlink.bc.ca
Database Consultant
Cornerstone Computer Associates Inc.
Chairperson, Vancouver Oracle Users Group Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message