Re: Oracle 7 and Pro*C precision

From: Kirk Bradley - Mainframe and Integration Technologies <kbradley_at_130.35.1.6>
Date: 1995/03/29

If you bind the number in as a character string you can retain up to 38 digits of precision. If you bind the number in as a float or double you will be at the mercy of several runtime library routines that handle float->character conversion. Do it yourself and you can control the precision.

Jonathan Wayne Ingram (jwingram_at_whale.st.usm.edu) wrote:

: We've run into a problem with Pro*C against an Oracle 7 database. Pro*C
: loses precision on the 18th digit of a number after a database access.

: I am fairly certain that I've read in this newsgroup about this problem
: only happening against an Oracle 7 database and not against an oracle 6
: database. I am interested in obtaining any specific information about
: this problem that anyone reading this newsgroup may have accumulated.

: If you can provide information about this problem, we would be very
: grateful. Currently, this loss of precision is not a problem for us,
: but an upcoming project will need to use the 18th position in the digit.
: Response by mail will be acknowledged.

: Thanks very much,

: Jonathan Ingram
: jwingram_at_whale.st.usm.edu

--