Re: OFA install

From: Andrew Sparks <asparks_at_nlseq3>
Date: 1995/03/29

Peng Hu (hup_at_nms.otc.com.au) wrote:
: mwu_at_symantec.com (Matt Wu) writes:

: >I recently installed Oracle for SunOS 4.1.3 and found the documentation to be
: >somewhat perplexing at times. One thing that I found particularly frustrating was
: >the way the documentation sometimes refers to the oracle home directory as
: >/u01/home/oracle/product/7.1.4 and sometimes as /home/oracle. Because
: >of the way the documentation was written, I ended up not only installing the
: >software in /u01/home/oracle/product/7.1.4, but I changed the login directory
: >for the oracle user to be there as well. Everything works but that doesn't
: >necessarily mean anything since OFA is just a recommendation.

: >My question is: What was I really supposed to do and does it really matter?

The directory /home/oracle is meant to represent the home directory for the "oracle" userid that is defined in UNIX. The "oracle" userid is the UNIX userid that owns the Oracle software files.
Typically this directory would only contain the .profile for the oracle userid. In unix this is the $HOME directory for the oracle userid.

The directory /u01/home/oracle/product/7.1.4 is meant to represent the directory where the Oracle software is stored. This is generally referred to in unix as the $ORACLE_HOME directory.

Cheers, Andrew. Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message