Re: LONG RAW data type problem

From: Jonathan Lewis <Jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1995/03/29

In article <3ks9aa$q22_at_hammer.msfc.nasa.gov>

           robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov "Robert Goodwin" writes:

: I've created a table with a LONG RAW column, but I'm having trouble selecting
: data from this column. Using SQL*Plus, trying to select from the LONG RAW
: column results in the following error:
:
: ORA-00932 inconsistent datatypes
:
: I can insert data into this column, but I can't select from it.

: Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know a way around it?

Just a thought, but if you are running 7.1.3, there is a package in $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin/utlraw.sql (and utlrab.sql) for handling raw data, and doing things like raw_to_char conversion.

Now, there are limitations on what this can do, and as supplied it does not have the 'restrict_references' pragma, but...

	If you slot in the pragma and create the package, you could try
	using the raw_to_char (or whatever it is) function on your long
	raw columns in a simple select statement.

Special Disclaimer:
	I only discovered the package last night, I'm not
	responsible for anything that happens.

--
Jonathan Lewis