Re: PO7 16Mb Shell Game

From: Keith Majkut <kmajkut_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 1995 00:37:09 GMT

In article <py07-Ki.jamesewert_at_delphi.com>, James Ewert <jamesewert_at_delphi.com> wrote:
>It appears Oracle is selling a FREE $15 beta to us saps:
>
>The Web page says it needs 8Mb
>One release note file on the CD says it can run in 8Mb if you use custom
>install and don't load PL/SQL
>
>Then another release note file on the CD says, well sorry, the CD and
>net releases have the PL/SQL bundled and so all installs require 16Mb
>
>A guy posts that it needs 16Mb to do anything useful (like run) and that
>it requires a big swap file
>
>And Oracle also says it strongly recommends a 486 to run it.
>
>Has anyone (including Oracle) got PO7 running on a 386? I'm getting
>out of memory errors when I attempt to initialize or start the database.

As other have noted, 16mb is probably a good idea of physical memory, but from what I've heard you should have virtual set so that you have at least 24mb total(specially during install). Also, it will run on a 386, just slower... Received on Wed Mar 29 1995 - 02:37:09 CEST

Original text of this message