Re: Server sizing: tools or info

From: Bernie Wong <bwong_at_shl.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:11:37 GMT

r14367_at_email.sps.mot.com (Curtis Frank Balvanz) writes:
>Are there any general guidelines to follow to figure out how big of a
>machine one needs for a specific application? I know that a lot depends on
>number of users, types and size of transactions, size of database, network
>connections, etc. ......

First question to ask before looking at tools is - do you need a configuration for an existing application (perhaps rehosting from another Unix platform), or a configuration for an commerically available product (e.g., Oracle*Financials), or a configuration for a brand new application (including reengineering an existing application).

If you want to rehost, then your emphasis should be on measuring the resource requirements for that application and finding a suitable platform. If you are looking at a product, then look for field experiences, vendor guidelines, conference feedback, product sizing guidelines etc. If it is a brand new application, then you are into Software Performance Engineering, Initial Sizing, modelling, etc, etc.

Regards,

Bernie Wong      | SHL Systemhouse         | Phone: 613-236-6604 x702
Manager          | 50 O'Connor St, Ste 501 | Fax:   613-236-2043
Perf Engineering | Ottawa, Ontario K1P 6L2 | Email: bwong_at_shl.com