Spaces loaded as nulls

From: A. Vellnagel - Advanced Technical Services - MINCOM <andrewv_at_devvax.mincom.oz.au>
Date: 1995/03/27

        I got the following query in a fax from one of our clients today. When I first looked at it I thought it was going to be a simple one but I have drawn a blank. Not sure whether I'm just too tired???

        "When loading from an ACSII file to Oracle, 'spaces' in the ACSII file get translated to 'nulls' in the Oracle data set. The guys here have written an SQL script that goes through the file converting all the nulls back to spaces. Is there a switch or something that can be set so that the spaces are in fact loaded as spaces."

        I'm not sure what these guyss are using to do the loads (ie. what utility, cobol program, c program .......). They are running Oracle 7 on an OpenVMS box. Any thoughts?

	Thanks in Advance,
	Andrew Vellnagel.

-------
INTERNET: andrewv_at_mincom.oz.au                     PHONE: +61 7 303 3333
                       Facsimile:  +61 7 303 3232
POSTAL: Andrew Vellnagel, OpenVMS/Database Consultant, Mincom Centre
        PO Box 72, Stones Corner, 4120, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Disclaimer: The usual.

     It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word. Received on Mon Mar 27 1995 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message