Handling of BLOBs in Oracle 7 with Pro*(C/Ada) ?

From: Andreas Schulz RIT14 <aschulz_at_erno.de>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 08:41:05 GMT

So far, I've only heard rumors that Oracle 7 will no longer have the limitation of Oracle 6's 64k for long fields, but instead allow storing of Binary Large OBjects up to 2GB.

My Question (since I didn't have any chance to see any Oracle 7 docs yet, but we will switch from 6 to 7 sooner or later) :

How do you insert/update such large fields with embedded SQL from host variables/files ? Let's assume you have to insert a file of some MB into the database :

Can you pass a file descriptor to Oracle, telling it to read data from this file into a BLOB field, or do you need a host array of the same size (which may blow your virtual memory) to pass the data to oracle?

Currently, with Oracle 6, the job is to split the binary data into 64k chunks and storing them into a table with a long raw column and a chunk counter, not talking about the alternative to keep just a reference to the file in the database (which doesn't quite fit to our requirements).

---
Andreas.Schulz_at_erno.de  DASA, Space Infrastructure, Bremen, Germany