Re: LONG RAW data type problem

From: Kirk Bradley - Mainframe and Integration Technologies <kbradley_at_130.35.1.6>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 22:51:35 GMT

selecting a RAW from SQL*Plus will force a RAWTOHEX conversion cause SQL*Plus wants to display the result as a character string.

Robert Goodwin (robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov) wrote:
: I've created a table with a LONG RAW column, but I'm having trouble selecting
: data from this column. Using SQL*Plus, trying to select from the LONG RAW
: column results in the following error:

: ORA-00932 inconsistent datatypes

: I can insert data into this column, but I can't select from it. I tried
: changing the column's data type to LONG and RAW, and each of these worked
: fine. According to the Oracle docs, the LONG RAW has the same restrictions as
: the LONG, but this is obviously not the case!

: This problem was reported to Oracle tech support, and their response was that
: the LONG RAW is too long to select from. However, the LONG data type has the
: same maximum length as the LONG RAW and, as I said, I don't get the error when
: using LONG.

: Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone know a way around it?
: Thanks.

: :-[ Robert

: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
: Robert Goodwin | phone: (205)461-4582
: Database Development | fax: (205)461-4999
: New Technology, Inc. |
: Huntsville, AL | robert.goodwin_at_msfc.nasa.gov
: "It's a database thing. You wouldn't understand."

--
Kirk Bradley
Oracle Corporation