Re: PB 4.0 vs Oracle Forms

From: Jacob Love <jlove_at_engin.umich.edu>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 15:03:19 GMT

In article <3kq00l$1o4_at_xenon.brooks.af.mil>, Steve Downs <downs_at_oehl.brooks.af.mil> wrote:
>Wow, but tell me, is it still as bloated and buggy as 4.0 was? Or
>will this one actually run after you've completed the seventy-disk
>installation process?

Depending on your definition of "bloated" you might find it more so. However, I've been using it for a couple of months now, and the only thing I would describe as a serious bug (that I have found) is that I had to stop using a non-Microsoft command shell.

As for the installation process, CD-ROM is fast and painless. As long as you have a big hard disk with lots of space. Since 1.25G hard disks are approaching $400, shouldn't be a big deal. Now if tape devices that can back these disks up would show a similar drop in price...

>If so, perhaps Oracle should be congratulated on finally making par.
>Powersoft has been there for awhile, and is a less arrogant,
>more customer-oriented company.

I'd wait and see on this one. The merger may have odd effects.

>As far as holy wars go, if Oracle keeps up their advertising in this
>group, maybe we should rename it comp.soft-sys.pb-jihaad.

I'm glad Oracle posts here--it gives me a chance to have a dialog with folks I can't normally reach.

--
Jack F. Love