Re: Accessing a Unix Server from OS/2

From: Greg Province <province_at_tyrell.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:44:20 GMT

In article <3kkl4v$fuq_at_mdnews.btv.ibm.com>, mlanda_at_vnet.ibm.com says:

>>In article <3kchnh$fa0_at_charles.cdec.polymtl.ca> cormier_at_step.polymtl.ca (Mario
>>Cormier) writes:>From: cormier_at_step.polymtl.ca (Mario Cormier)
>>>Subject: Accessing a Unix Server from OS/2
>>>Date: 17 Mar 1995 17:43:13 GMT

>>>I am currently developing an application which wil have to be linked
>>>to a Unix server running Oracle. What I want to know is what do I need
>>>in order to achieve that goal? Are there many options available? I
>>>heard about SQLNET for Windows. Is there an OS/2 version of that?
>>>And what does it accomplish exactly?

>>>Thanks in advance for any info you may be able to provide.
>>

>Yes, SQL*NET is available on OS2 for most protocols. I currently use NETBIOS and
>TCP/IP to connect to our Oracle Database running on OS/2 (requesters are running
>OS2 and WIN/OS2). You should have no trouble connecting to an RS6K from an
>OS/2 box using SQL*NET for TCP/IP (note: you also need to have TCP/IP for
>OS2 installed) assuming the RS6K is running a SQL*NET TCP/IP listener.
>
>If your application is written for Windows running under OS/2
>you will also need to purchase a product called SQL*VDM from Oracle.
>
>M.Landa

I just got the whole thing working myself and I have a question which you might be able to answer. First of all the pieces which I had to install were:

  1. IBM TCP/IP for OS/2 vers 2.0
  2. SQLVDM vers 1.0
  3. TCP/IP adapter vers 2.0.15.0
  4. SQLNET Client V 2.0.15.0

I tested the WIN/OS2 connectivity with NETTEST.EXE (which I had to get from a DOS/Windows/SQLNET for Windows machine) but it needed these DLLs to run: ORA7WIN.DLL, USDMEM.DLL, and COREWIN.DLL which I also pulled over from that Windows machine. My question is, shouldn't SQLNET for OS2 provide these DLLs? Or am I missing some other ORACLE install disk?

Thanks,

Greg Province Received on Fri Mar 24 1995 - 16:44:20 CET

Original text of this message