Re: Designer/2000 & Developer/2000

From: Rob E. Allan <rallan_at_ohgpu.hydro.on.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 12:41:03 GMT

Michael Kranzdorf (mikek_at_krt.com) wrote:
: In article <dbmooreD5nG9J.4sq_at_netcom.com>, dbmoore_at_netcom.com (Dennis
: Moore) wrote:

: > (2) We have ***NOT*** changed non-Windows pricing (i.e. Mac, Unix,
 VMS). While
: > we may make some tuning adjustments on those platforms, we don't expect
 to have
: > free runtimes on all platforms. We build the product on Windows and then port
: > to those other platforms, which is a very difficult and expensive process (if
: > you don't believe me, then ask Sybase's PowerBuilder why their Mac and Motif
: > ports are over two years late ;-). On Unix and VMS, we also support character
: > mode deployment, and again this is expensive and time consuming. With Windows
: > now not only our fastest growing but also our largest single platform
 (in terms
: > of units and revenues), we have to take a "Windows first" attitude but without
: > negatively affecting our huge Unix and VMS installed base.

: > -- Dennis Moore, Oracle Corp.

: "Once Again Mac Users Get the Shaft"

: I think this is a cruel and unusual policy and I really hope you
: reconsider it. Just because you build the product on Windows and then port
: it, it's not fair to simply yank out the "porting cost" as extraneous to
: the product development. You know all along that you're building
: cross-platform tools. Perhaps If you restructured your development process
: to focus on that from the start, it wouldn't be so expensive.
: You're giving up a huge amount of money by not charging for Windows
: runtimes. Surely the amount you'll get out of the other platforms is not
: worth the bad will it promotes. I already have to wait months to start
: using "the way cool really great stop using 4.0 now" Forms 4.5 for Mac.
: Now you want me to pay extra for it? While Windows users get it earlier
: and cheaper? They get 2 pluses and I get 2 minuses. This all leaves a bad
: taste in my mouth.

: Mike Kranzdorf mikek_at_krt.com

So we have to wait for powerbuilder's motif port to get free runtimes for forms. Good way to reward loyal customers... I will be trying my hardest over the next few months to get our development team to go with powerbuilder when it comes out.

It really bothers me that products that start out on PC's always seem to have better pricing for their UNIX versions than products developed originally on UNIX.

rob.e.allan_at_hydro.on.ca Received on Fri Mar 24 1995 - 13:41:03 CET

Original text of this message