Re: unfathomable errors starting oracle

From: Vish Gopalan <vgopalan_at_borg24.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: 24 Mar 1995 00:28:15 GMT

adamsm_at_source.asset.com (R. Matthew Adams) wrote:

> After doing an install and upgrade to Oracle 7.1.3 on AIX 3.2
> I get the following error trying to start sqldba.
>
> Could not load program oracleSPN2
> Symbol kaio_rdwr in /usr/lib/libc.a is undefined
> Symbol iosuspend in /usr/lib/libc.a is undefined
> Symbol acancel in /usr/lib/libc.a is undefined
> Symbol listio in /usr/lib/libc.a is undefined
> Could not load library libc.a[aio.o]
> Error was: Exec format error
>

> I checked the install.log and the the linking of both the oracle
> and sqldba executables showed no errors.
>
> Shouldn't the libc.a library have been loaded into the executable at
> compile time? any ideas why I am getting this error at runtime?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> matt adams
>
> --
> R. Matthew Adams
> adamsm_at_source.asset.com speaking for himself
> I'm not ok, you're not ok; but hey - that's ok.

I think you need to enable Asynchronous IO option in AIX. Oracle uses this feature on AIX to perform database IOs. To verify its current setting, run 'smit aio' from the Unix prompt. It must say 'AVAILABLE' instead of 'DEFINED'. To change it, contact your system administrator. You may have to reboot the machine after the change. AIX can be configured to automatically turn on AIO at system reboot. Make sure this does not impact other vendor products adversely.

                                  """
                                 (o o)
|                             Vish Gopalan                             |
|                         Information Systems                          |
|                      Architecture & Integration                      |
|                   International Space Station, NASA                  |
| E-mail: vgopalan_at_borg24.jsc.nasa.gov           Phone: (713) 280-7473 |