Re: How long can/should a primary key be?

From: DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM <(DAGMARA_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 20:17:05 -0500

Sometimes one cannot help but have a very long primary key. In my opinion, I don't wish to go beyond three fields, four max for a concatenated key because the joins become extremely resource-consuming. My solution has always been to generate an internal sequence number to represent the several columns required to for a unique primary key, and create a concatenated index with the columns to speed joins.

Dagmar Anne Bogan

Kopania & Komorovsky          Specializing in Data Architecture
Richardson, TX  75081         and Performance Engineering

dagmara_at_delphi.com Received on Fri Mar 24 1995 - 02:17:05 CET

Original text of this message