Re: snapshot too old

From: Gary Smith <derby_at_csn.net>
Date: 23 Mar 1995 13:49:58 GMT

Dan Weinman (dano_at_bluedevil.cv.COM) wrote:
: I have a pro*c program that is used to update selected records in a large table.
: After processing about 400,000 records the program aborts with the
: ORA-01555 error. The program declares a cursor for the select statement
: and then fetches 500 rows at a time using the cursor. It then has the
: possibility of updating any or all of the rows depending on the values of
: the columns selected. A commit is done after the update and another 500
: rows is fetched. This will continue until the error occurs.

: Dan

I had a similar problem in Oracle V6.0.37, which I solved by using the

        "set transaction use rollback segment SEG_NAME" after each commit.

I'm not sure why this works and just a commit doesn't, however I do know it solved the problem. If anyone here knows WHY it works, I'd sure be interested.

Mike Leblanc,
Support Engineer

--
Derby Associates, International
Ft. Collins, CO   80524                         E-Mail:  derby_at_teal.csn.org