Re: PB 4.0 vs Oracle Forms

From: Chuck Hamilton <chuckh_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 22 Mar 1995 16:08:59 GMT

In <3km490$2ft_at_ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> fcasas_at_ix.netcom.com (Francisco Casas) writes:

>And if you are really want to do positive contributions to
>your Karma could you also send any other tidbits where one
>beats the other.
>
>Thanks.

I've not used Oracle Forms but I can tell you one of the weaknesses I've found in PB 3.0a, and I beleive it carries forward to 4.0 too. You can't attach custom code to any individual field inside a datawindow. You have to treat the entire DW as one big object. You can attach code to the DW from the window painter, but not to the fields it contains. Doing entry-time data validation against another table becomes a real headache. Powersoft will tell you to use a drop down datawindow and select a valid choice from the list. But if the validation table contains 100,000 rows that's not very practical. Also, if a new record gets added to the validation table, it won't be in the drop down until you first close the window with the DW on it and reopen it.

PB is fine for small to medium sized projects (mailing lists, phone books, etc.), but I wouldn't trust it for "industrial strength" applications.

Just my opinion.

        ><> Chuck Hamilton <>< Received on Wed Mar 22 1995 - 17:08:59 CET

Original text of this message